Ridge Park Place, Suite 3000
1130 22nd Street South
Birmingham, AL 35205
(205) 259-1039 (direct)
(205) 251-5479 (fax)
Kerry Hunton, Legal Assistant
William H. McKenzie, IV
William is a sought-after trial attorney and an industry thought leader for results-based communication. He began his career with a prominent litigation firm and joined NWKT as a partner in 2012 so he could leverage the efficiency and rates of a small firm. After achieving great results in Alabama cases, William is now asked to obtain special admission in other states to serve as chief trial counsel for his clients across the country. In addition to his regular work, he serves as outside general coverage counsel for a large, publicly-traded international corporation and coordinates its litigation around the United States.
William has litigated over 40 cases in Federal Court alone, hundreds of cases in state courts, multiple arbitrations, and won in the Alabama Supreme Court. He has represented insurance companies, policyholders, manufacturers, transportation companies, and a variety of businesses in complex litigation. William’s vast trial experience, insurance coverage knowledge, and financial background helps him quickly identify leverage points to win. Some of his recent representative cases (outside of Alabama and Mississippi) include:
- Starr Indem. & Liab. Co. v. Choice Hotels Int’l, Inc., No. 20-CV-3172 (PKC), 2021 WL 2457107, at *1 (S.D.N.Y. June 16, 2021).
- Won at Trial
- Millers Cap. Ins. Co. v. Vasant, et al. No. CV RDB-18-0553, 2018 WL 5295899, at *1 (D. Md. Oct. 25, 2018)
- Won on Summary Judgment
- Nautilus Ins. Co. v. Best Eastern, et al. 7:20-cv-00065-HL (M.D. Ga. 2020)
- Favorable Settlement
- Owners Ins. Co. v. Choice Hotels Int’l, Inc., No. 5:20-cv-00021 (E.D. N.C. 2021)
- Summary Judgment Pending
If you hate wasting time and want to cut to the heart of a matter, William is your lawyer. He is a high-energy problem solver. He has been selected as a “Rising Star” in the Mid-South Super Lawyers® list (2021) and numerous times in the Alabama Super Lawyers® list. He has been quoted and featured in publications by the International Association of Defense Counsel, Defense Research Institute, and Business Alabama magazine. He serves on the Trial Tactics and Damages Committee of the Defense Research Institute, is chair of DRI’s Retail & Hospitality Insurance Coverage SGL, and is a featured keynote speaker at legal seminars across North America.
Most importantly: William is happily married, a proud father of three children, and loves serving in his church. William coaches his kids’ sports teams, and is an avid hunter and fly fisherman. He lives every day with great joy!
- Complex Commercial and Construction Litigation. Transportation Litigation and Product Liability Defense. Insurance Coverage and Litigation. Sex Trafficking. COVID-19 Business Interruption Coverage Claims.
- University of Mississippi; B.B.A. Banking and Finance (with distinction)
- University of Mississippi School of Law; J.D. (with distinction)
- Alabama State Bar
- Mississippi State Bar
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- All U.S. District Courts in Alabama and Mississippi
- Alabama Defense Lawyers Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Trial Tactics and Damages Committee
- Chair of Insurance Coverage Committee
- Claims and Litigation Management Alliance