About W. M. Bains Fleming, III
Mr. Fleming has tried more than 25 cases in court across the State of Alabama. At home in the courtroom, he has a wide-ranging practice that includes the defense of medical malpractice claims, catastrophic person injury and wrongful death claims along with toxic and mass tort litigation. He also handles product liability, premises liability, transportation, and construction litigation matters.
Mr. Fleming also serves a mediator. He mediates cases ranging from small property damage claims, to wrongful death cases and multi-party complex cases. He is registered on the Alabama State Court Mediator Roster.
Mr. Fleming is a Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent rated attorney. He has been consistently named to the Super Lawyers ® list as a Mid-South Rising Star in the practice area of Personal Injury – Medical Malpractice Defense from 2016 to 2019. He was named in B-Metro’s Magazine’s Rising Star Lawyers and Attorneys of Note in 2014.
Mr. Fleming is an active member of International Association of Defense Counsel (IADC) where he serves on a number of committees including the steering committee for the medical liability track of IADC’s Professional Liability Roundtable. He is a graduate of the 41st Annual International Association of Defense Counsel Trial Academy.
Mr. Fleming is the past President of the Young Lawyers Section of the Alabama Defense Lawyers Association (ADLA). Since 2014, Mr. Fleming has served on the faculty of the ADLA’s Bibb Allen Memorial Trial Academy.
He was selected to participate in the Alabama State Bar Leadership Forum Class 9 in 2013. He is a participant in the Birmingham Bar Association’s Volunteer Lawyer Program and was named to the Alabama Bar’s Pro Bono Honor Roll from 2008-2011.
In the community, Mr. Fleming is a member of the March of Dimes Golf for Babies Tournament committee. He served the Chairman of the Rotaract Club of Birmingham Foundation. Prior to his work with the Club’s Foundation, he served two terms as the Club’s Service Director. He is a recipient of Rotaract’s Directors Award, the Charles A. Collat, Sr. Distinguished Service Award, and a Paul Harris Fellow. Mr. Fleming was a member of the Leadership UAB Class of 2013 and the 2010 MS Leadership Class. He is the recipient of the Birmingham Urban League Young Professionals Leadership Empowerment Award.
Mr. Fleming is also a coach for Samford University’s Cumberland School of Law’s nationally ranked Mock Trial team. In 2011, Mr. Fleming was recognized by Cumberland during the law school’s National Pro Bono Week.
Prior to entering law school, Mr. Fleming worked as Director of Fundraising Operations for one of Florida’s premier political consulting firms.
- Product Liability, Medical Malpractice, Toxic Tort and Asbestos Litigation, Transportation Litigation, and Construction Litigation
- Registered on the Alabama State Court Mediator Roster
- Washington and Lee University; B.A. Politics, concentration in Environmental Studies (2003)
- Cumberland School of Law, Samford University; J.D. (2007)
- President of the Class of 2007
- Judge Abraham Caruthers Teaching Fellow
- Daniel Austin Brewer Professionalism Award
- Michael V. Rasmussen Award for Excellence in Trial Advocacy
- Alabama Defense Lawyers Association Award
- Order of Barristers
- National Trial Team Member; AAJ Regional Champion and competed nationally
- Trial Advocacy Board; Assistant Director
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- All U.S. District Courts in Alabama
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Middle District of Alabama
- Alabama State Bar
- Alabama Bar Association
- Leadership Forum Alumni Section – Assistant Director of Programming and Events (2017-2018)
- Lawyer University Task Force (2016-2017)
- Birmingham Bar Association
- Medical Liaison Committee (2017)
- American Bar Association
- Alabama Defense Lawyers Association
- Board of Directors – 2020-2021
- President – Young Lawyers Section (2018-2019)
- Secretary – Young Lawyers Section (2016-2017)
- Treasurer – Young Lawyers Section (2015-2016)
- Director – Young Lawyers Section (2013-2015)
- International Association of Defense Counsel
- Defense Research Institute
- Judge James Edwin Horton Inn of Court